FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OCTOBER 13, 2020
CONTACT: Amanda Bevis (202) 680-9262
Tallahassee, FL –The Florida Retail Federation urged consumers today to support Florida retail stores this week. Florida retailers are the backbone of Florida's economy, provide jobs for Florida families and support community organizations.
Prime Days, which occur October 13 through 14, may offer online savings, but many Florida retail stores offer alternative savings opportunities that come with unmatched customer service.
"Florida's retail stores have faced unprecedented challenges this year during the COVID-19 pandemic," said Scott Shalley, president and CEO of the Florida Retail Federation. "But they've gone above and beyond to meet the demands of consumers and keep them safe and well with the latest CDC guidelines in place. We're asking consumers to return the effort by supporting local retail stores. Whether you're chasing a deal, prepping for a family gathering or checking off your Christmas list, choose to shop Florida retail."
Here are five tips from the Florida Retail Federation to help you shop local and support your community:
- Visit your local retailers' social media channel or website. Most local shops share upcoming sales with their followers online. To stay informed and up-to-date on promotions, consider joining their email list.
- Eat local. Many grocery stores and farmers' markets offer produce and goods locally grown in your region. Purchasing local produce means fresher, higher-quality goods that are sustainably grown and sold.
- Research alternative promotions. During Prime Days, many businesses will offer overlapping sales events. Do your homework and see what local stores have the best offer for your needs.
- Dine out (or in) this week. Many times local restaurants will offer special weeknight deals or "Happy Hour" menus to help you save. Seek out dining establishments that also support locally-owned farms.
- Remember community impact matters. Your dollars make a difference in your community. When you shop locally, you are helping those closest to you prosper while investing in your local economy.
COVID-19 has impacted small businesses and retailers in Florida's communities and throughout the nation. As Florida's retailers continue to overcome the challenges of the pandemic, local support matters now more than ever.
ABOUT THE FLORIDA RETAIL FEDERATION
The Florida Retail Federation is the statewide trade association representing retailers -- the businesses that sell directly to consumers. Florida retailers provide one out of every five jobs in the state, pay more than $49 billion in wages annually, and collect and remit more than $20 billion in sales taxes for Florida’s government each year.